Saturday, June 2, 2007

Week 1 Homework: How I will use ALEX in my classroom.

When I return to teaching high school mathematics, when my children are in elementary school, I will use the Alabama Learning Exchange (ALEX). When I taught high school mathematics in the past, anytime I was assigned a new subject to teach, I always had to hunt down teachers who had taught the class in the past to get a copy of course of study and lesson plan ideas. It doesn't matter which school I get assigned to, or which mathematics class I get assigned to, ALEX is a quick resource to look up the course of study and lesson plans.

I would include ALEX in my course syllabus as a resource to students. ALEX has links to interesting math websites that my students could have fun with in the computer lab. I also saw great project ideas for high school math classes in the lesson plans which I would definitely use because it can be challenging to think of good project ideas for math classes.

2 comments:

Jennifer Schwartz said...

It is always nice to take the math out of the class room and try to find a way to make it fun. As a nonmath major, math has always been a very boring subject for me. I think adding ALEX as a resource will not only provide your students with great oppurtunities for learning, but I think will help you keep their attention. I think the only problem that we, as teachers, may have is if the students do not have internet access at home. Other than going to the library, how will they access these wonderful resources?

John Hadley Strange said...

Very good! And you got an interesting comment from Jennifer also!